Thursday, October 2, 2014

Passion Project Update #1

Poetry Perseverance



The past two weeks I have been writing poetry I plan on presenting for the final Passion Project Presentation. There's no doubt poetry is both a blessing and a curse. But I feel you have better appreciation when you have to work for it. Throughout these two weeks I have been working on one of my poems titled, Boys. It focuses on the negative stereotypes that supposedly define us boys. Right now I'm juggling between the lines, tone of voice, rhythm, and performance. But that's why I love spoken word! It's more than a poem on a page. You are storyteller and the story takes life right in front of you during your performance.

Over the next couple of weeks I plan to step back from the poem to regroup myself and take observations. Actually live the poem so to speak. For now, I will be emailing and interviewing fellow poets asking their take on spoken word poetry. I might also ask some of you guys for your opinion on poetry and storytelling as a whole.

Keep Digging Sunsets,

Perry

2 comments:

  1. My interest is totally piqued with regard to your poem about stereotypes of boys! Can't wait for your project, Perry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited to see your project! I love spoken word and have been writing poetry for my novel as well. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete